Saturday, September 29, 2012

Keep Smiling and Be Grateful


I drove my car to the auto-parts store, parked in the lot at 6:30, estimating I'd be in and out of there in under 20 minutes for a very simple routine replacement. I'd already paid for the part online and the technicians there allegedly switched car batteries out several times per day, so I was sure I'd drive off in no time. 
I watched as the technicians poked and prodded under my car's hood, pulling out WD-40, popping off bolts and making use of plastic zip-ties.
At 8:30, I stood in the lot, waiting for AAA to come tow my car home. 
Mysteriously, after the new battery was installed, my car refused to turn on. 
I smiled through the whole process, knowing anger and blame would do nothing to help the situation. I was also lucky enough that a great friend came to keep me company (after I realized I was running a tad late for grabbing a bite to eat with him). We cracked jokes and laughed, making light of the situation. 
It's good to have a friend that shares the same everything-is-fixed-by-laughter-and-dancing mentality. 
The AAA agent came within 20 minutes of calling for him. At this point, I was already thankful enough. I called home to explain the situation. My heart started to sink as Dad reminded me of the ensuing costs that were piling up in front of me in order to repair my car. I told him to expect me towed home in a bit. 
But, this night wasn't really an as-expected type of night. 
Enter, the most amazing AAA agent there ever was. 
Not only did he spend an hour diagnosing and making adjustments to my car, he fixed the problem, followed me home in case my car broke down again, pointed out more work my car definitely needed and offered to help fix them himself for an unbeatable price! I trusted his words and sensed absolutely no ulterior motive to his kindness which, unfortunately, is a rarity, these days. 
He double checked to see if the problem was truly fixed (it was) and gave me his information so I could call him for the other repairs. He drove away and I was filled with the purest of gratitude for having been sent such a pure-hearted savior that night. 
As I ate a late dinner, I couldn't shake the overwhelming thankfulness I had for both my friend that kept a smile on my face as I waited for help and for the amazing AAA agent. 
Later, I heard my mother on the phone with Grandma, wishing her a happy Korean Thanksgiving. 
Today, I am absolutely more grateful than usual for the wonderful people that are cross my path and for all the things I have.
Not only is life not that bad... it's actually pretty amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment